How Technology and Health Effect Relationship? Prudential Relationship index sheds interesting insights

In this rapidly-evolving digital age, the relationships of Thai people are weakening and technology is one of the main culprits. Technology, which includes social media, is the second-leading cause of arguments among couples in Thailand, according to the recent Prudential Relationship Index (PRI) 2017 report.

Relationships breathe life into our lives, adding colour, tears and laughter. But how much do we truly understand them?  In the pursuit of deeper relationship insights, Prudential has launched the second edition of the PRI, a year after the inaugural report was launched in 2016.

This year, Thailand retains its fifth position on the PRI index among the nine markets surveyed in Asia, with a score of 70/100 – a one-point decrease from 2016. This indicates that relationships in Thailand fulfil 70% of people’s needs and expectations, leaving a 30% relationship gap. The highest PRI scores across the region were recorded in Cambodia and the Philippines.

CEO of Prudential Thailand, Aman Chowla said, “We are delighted to launch the second edition of the PRI in Thailand, which provides interesting insights into the state of relationships among Thai people. Highlights from this year’s results reveal that physical health and financial security for loved ones continue to be a key priority among Thai people.”

SEE ALSO:   Casino investors counting on a full house in Vietnam's fledgling gaming industry

On the importance of relationships, Aman Chowla said, “Research has shown that better relationships directly translate to a greater sense of well-being and significant improvement in health and longevity. We consider Prudential to be a life partner to our customers and will strive to provide fresh and innovative experiences to them.”

Does technology make relationships stronger or weaker?

While social media can bring people together, many couples in Thailand say it drives a wedge between them. Thirty-six percent of respondents argue with their partners over the amount of time spent on smartphones or computers. Close to the same proportion say they sometimes get upset by what their partner posts on social media (37%).

Forty-six percent of people in Thailand say their families spend too much time on the phone rather than talking to each other, while 40% admit the time spent on the phone has a negative impact on their family relationships.

The difference between men and women in the utilisation of technology is also clear: 71% of Thai men say they are on their phones more than their partner, compared to 51% of women.

Thais do care about their health…but to what extent?

According to the PRI 2017, people in Thailand are aware of the need to be more physically healthy, but do little to maintain their health.

SEE ALSO:   Ikea pet range ‘covers all the basics’

Sixty-nine percent of Thais are concerned whether they will stay physically healthy when they are older. More imminently, 34% believe their health will worsen in the coming five years.

Despite these concerns, 61% of Thais say they are not currently active in maintaining their health. When asked what they would like changed in their partners, making their partners healthier topped the wish list – as mentioned by over half of the people (54%) surveyed in the PRI 2017.

“The insights from the PRI 2017 provide us with an in-depth understanding of the top needs and concerns in the market. While health is a key concern, a third of Thais (66%) are also worrying about saving enough for their future retirement, with 55% citing retirement as their key financial priority. The findings from this insightful report reinforce our commitment to provide tailored products and services to enhance our customers’ overall quality of life, from health and medical to savings and life protection,” concluded Mr Aman Chowla.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Get the latest retail insights from Asia

just leave your details and we'll send it over

X